The Human Nature Group was born at UC San Diego on October 9, 2008.
We started it to create a revolution in the way we think about ourselves.
Political philosophers and other social scientists have thought about human nature for centuries, but very recently natural scientists have become increasingly interested in human nature, too. We want to bring these two groups together and we share two big dreams:
- a desire to bring ideas from the natural sciences to bear on questions about political and social behavior
- a desire to *shape* the natural sciences with the things we have learned about politics and the social sciences
To that end, we created a weekly lunch group with three goals in mind:
- to communicate updates about collaborative projects
- to give group members a chance to present their work
- to read and discuss work by others that we think is relevant
A year later we created this blog when our membership grew and we realized that there is a larger community who shares our interests who could become part of the conversation.
We hope the discussion is useful for you!